Listen!

Sunday, January 3, 2010

interview on Chistepper.com

Exclusive Interview: Soul Singer Hassanah
Submitted by T. Pratt on Mon, 01/26/2009 - 17:38.

If ever there was a song that had me on a wild goose chase, "Just Like Heave" is it. I searched hopelessly for the track for close to a year with no luck. It was not until Ameenah Rashid discovered the track and sent me a link to it, that I finally found it on Sno Cap. Talk about "Heaven" ... I don't even remember what I had to promise her for sending the song my way.

On Friday, after sending out a heads up about the interview, I got an email from DJ Verdena. I had known for some time that Verdena was responsible for bringing the song to the Chicago Steppin' scene. As the DJ's do however, they kept it amongst themselves to avoid bootlegging. Verdena says that she gave a clearance to release the track to the general public after talking it over with Hassanah. It seems however, that no one shared the news with DJ Calvin and Steve "Breeze," as they held it tight within their grasps.

Once I got the track, I called my buddy Steve up with the song playing in the background. He then told Mellow Khris and the song ended up on a CD. Well ChiSteppers, all of those games are over because we've finally found Hassanah, and you all get to check out her "Heavenly" interview.

T. Pratt (TP): It was great chatting with you the other day. You’re such a sweetheart. How surprised were you to learn that your song, “Just Like Heaven” was a major hit on the Steppin’ scene?

Hassanah (H): It was a very pleasant surprise. It was really out of the blue … I was just checking my emails and once in a while I would get a message from listeners who were involved in the Chicago Steppin’ scene who were really happy to have found me. The first Steppin’ DJ who contacted me was Cynsitivity. [She] was the first one who really explained the whole scene to me. Before that I don’t think I really understood how big the scene was and how popular “Just Like Heaven” was.

TP: What was the inspiration behind “Just Like Heaven?”

H: It’s really a song about unexpected blessings. Going from being in a downtrodden state to a heavenly state of being. So it’s spiritual in that sense but it could apply to any situation. The actual inspiration was a poem by Rumi called “New Moon Hilal.” I just found [that] the imagery spoke to me and it was kind of in my mind when I went in to record that day. The track [produced] by Jacob Gabriel of “The Level” productions just felt right for the theme and the lyrics and melody just came together. It was one of those easy songs.

TP: Were you familiar with Chicago Steppin’ prior to the few emails that you received on Myspace?

H: Not really. Of course I had heard the song “Step in the Name of Love” [by R. Kelly] and seen the video but I didn’t realize how serious people really took it and how much of a culture it was. I think it’s a beautiful thing though … very classy and sophisticated. I wish that type of sensibility would spread into the wider music community.

TP: I’ve purchased a few of your songs off of Sno Cap, but I can’t figure out what Genre to put you in. It seems closest to Neo Soul. How would your categorize your music?

H: I really have stopped trying to categorize it myself. I’ll let whoever is listening decide. I don’t really like the term neo soul, I find it kind of limiting but I just like good music. I sing jazz, reggae, R&B, soul ... whatever, as long as it’s good music I don’t have a problem taking part in it.

TP: The record industry has been going through major transitions. Would you prefer to stay independent or is it your goal to get a major recording contract?

H: I used to be set on getting a big record deal and all of that but I’m starting to realize that I can make music and get it to an audience without having to go through a record label. My goal is to have my music career develop in the best way possible and whatever way that happens is fine with me.

TP: When we talked, you said “Just Like Heaven” was made some time ago while you were in school. What school did you attend?

H: I went to college at North Carolina Central University, which is an HBCU in Durham, North Carolina. I did some jazz studies there. But after that I went to Full Sail in Florida and studied Recording Engineering which is where I recorded “Just Like Heaven" [with] Jacob the producer [who] was another student there. He is from Hawaii and I used to live there and he actually saw me perform there years before we recorded together in Florida.

TP: Who are some of your influences as an artist?

H: My first major influence was Stevie Wonder. It was after I found a copy of “Hotter than July” when I was 8 years old that I decided I wanted to be a singer. He has such joy and love in his voice. I’m also influenced a lot by the great jazz singers like Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald, [and] Billie Holiday for her phrasing. Anita baker was also a big influence. Prince [was another influence] and I also love reggae and African music.

TP: I explained to you, the DJ’s would not release this song for months. Actually, one of ChiStepper’s readers found the track online and told me, after which I shared it with the public. They told us that it was by Amel Larrieux. How crazy is that?

H: I love Amel Larrieux! I think her voice is so unique and beautiful, so I’m flattered even though I think I sound quite different. Thanks for putting me on too!

TP: There is very little information about you, your music, or your happenings online. How can the Steppers find the latest on Hassanah?

H: I have a website www.Hassanah.com and there’s also the myspace page www.myspace.com/hassanah. There should be a lot more info available [as] I’ll be updating the sites more often this year. I’m planning on having more footage of live performances and other interesting stuff.

TP: You’re located in Miami but you’ve expressed interest in coming to Chicago to see the dance. Are you open to performing at Steppin’ events throughout the country?

H: I would love to. Hopefully I’ll get out there this year!

TP: How should the promoters reach out to you?

H: Any promoter can reach me online through my website or myspace page.

TP: I know that you’ve recently hooked up with I-Tunes, Amazon, and Rhapsody. When will your music be available for purchase online?

H: I thought it wouldn’t be available ‘till march but I just checked and “Just Like Heaven” is already available now, so that’s cool!

TP: Okay, last question. When is the Hassanah CD dropping?

H: That’s in the works right now ... I’m releasing all the songs I’ve done as an album which I’m hoping to get out by summer and I’m also working on an album of new material. So just keep checking back with me.

TP: Any closing thoughts?

H: I just want to say thanks to all the listeners … it’s nice to know that there are people out there who love my song and I’m looking forward to learning more about the whole Chicago step movement.

Vote Result

Score: 10.0, Votes: 1
Login or register to post comments
New Hassanah Interview: Check It Out!
Submitted by T. Pratt on Mon, 01/26/2009 - 17:47.
Hassanah is a true sweetheart. I'm so glad that we've been blessed with her music.

No comments:

Post a Comment